ITIL, which stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library, is a framework of best practices for IT service management (ITSM) that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of the business. ITIL certifications are globally recognized qualifications that demonstrate a person's proficiency in IT service management and their understanding of the ITIL framework. These certifications are offered by AXELOS, a joint venture company formed by the UK Government's Cabinet Office and Capita plc.
The ITIL certification scheme consisted of several levels:
- ITIL Foundation: The entry-level certification, ITIL Foundation, introduces the core ideas and vocabulary of the ITIL framework. It offers a fundamental comprehension of the procedures and methods used in IT service management.
- ITIL Practitioner: This designation is made to offer useful advice on how to apply and modify the ITIL framework in realistic situations. It focuses on how ITIL principles are used within an organisation.
- ITIL Intermediate: This level is divided into several modules, each focusing on a specific ITIL lifecycle stage or capability. Some of the modules include Service Strategy, Service Design, Service Transition, Service Operation, and Continual Service Improvement.
- ITIL Managing Professional (ITIL MP): IT professionals interested in managing IT services and teams should pursue ITIL Managing Professional (ITIL MP) certification. It consists of the following four modules: ITIL Strategist Direct, Plan, and Improve; ITIL Specialist Create, Deliver, and Support; ITIL Specialist Drive Stakeholder Value; and ITIL Specialist High Velocity IT.
- ITIL Strategic Leader (ITIL SL): This level also includes two modules: ITIL Strategist Direct, Plan and Improve (shared with ITIL MP) and ITIL Leader Digital and IT Strategy. These certifications are for those who lead and influence IT and digital teams.
- ITIL Master: This is the highest level of ITIL certification and is designed for experienced professionals who can demonstrate their ability to apply ITIL concepts in complex, real-world scenarios. To achieve this certification, candidates need to submit a proposal, undergo an assessment process, and demonstrate their practical application of ITIL principles.