Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Configuration Management is a component of ITIL, a collection of ITSM best practices that emphasizes matching IT services to business requirements. Configuration Management, in the context of ITIL, refers to the process of managing and maintaining information about IT assets and their relationships within an organization.
The key objectives of ITIL Configuration Management include:
- Maintaining a Configuration Management Database (CMDB): A CMDB is a centralized repository that stores information about all IT assets, including hardware, software, documentation, configurations, and their relationships. The CMDB serves as a single source of truth for the organization's IT infrastructure.
- Configuration Identification: This involves defining and labeling IT assets in a consistent manner to enable accurate tracking and management. Each asset is given a unique identifier and relevant attributes are documented.
- Configuration Control: This process ensures that changes to IT assets are managed in a controlled and systematic manner. It involves reviewing proposed changes, assessing their impact, and obtaining appropriate approvals before implementing them.
- Configuration Status Accounting: Tracking and reporting the status of IT assets over time. This helps in understanding the current state of the infrastructure and aids in decision-making.
- Configuration Verification and Audit: Regularly validating the information in the CMDB to ensure its accuracy and completeness. Audits help identify discrepancies between the documented state and the actual state of assets.
- Configuration Review: Regularly assessing the effectiveness of the configuration management process and identifying areas for improvement.
It's worth noting that ITIL practices have evolved over time, and while the core concepts remain consistent, practical implementations might differ based on an organization's specific needs and technological advancements. The aim is to ensure that IT services are delivered efficiently, effectively, and aligned with business objectives.