The right ITIL certification for you depends on your current level of expertise and your career goals. If you are new to ITIL and IT service management, starting with the ITIL Foundation is a common choice. If you have some experience and want to specialize in a particular area, you can choose the Intermediate or Managing Professional levels based on your interests. If you are a strategic leader in IT, the Strategic Leader level might be more appropriate.
The ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) certification scheme includes multiple levels. The most common levels are:
- ITIL Foundation: This is the entry-level certification that provides a general understanding of the key concepts, principles, and terminology of ITIL. It is a prerequisite for the higher-level certifications.
- ITIL Practitioner: This level focuses on how to adopt and adapt ITIL principles in real-world scenarios. It provides practical guidance on how to apply ITIL concepts to improve IT service management processes.
- ITIL Intermediate: The Service Lifecycle stream includes modules such as Service Strategy, Service Design, Service Transition, Service Operation, and Continual Service Improvement. The Service Capability stream covers modules like Operational Support and Analysis, Planning, Protection, and Optimization, Release, Control, and Validation, and Service Offerings and Agreements.
- ITIL Managing Professional (MP): It includes four modules: ITIL Specialist: Create, Deliver and Support; ITIL Specialist: Drive Stakeholder Value; ITIL Specialist: High-Velocity IT; and ITIL Strategist: Direct, Plan, and Improve.
- ITIL Strategic Leader (SL): This level is aimed at IT and business leaders involved in shaping IT strategy. It includes two modules: ITIL Strategist: Direct, Plan, and Improve (shared with ITIL MP) and ITIL Leader: Digital and IT Strategy.
- ITIL Master: This is the highest level of ITIL certification, which demonstrates the ability to apply ITIL principles in real-world scenarios and across different business environments.